Farmingdale State College Athletic Compliance
Welcome to the Farmingdale State College Athletics Compliance home page! The goal of this site is to provide our boosters, alumni, fans, coaches, prospects and student-athletes information regarding the rules and regulations of the NCAA. While not all inclusive, it is meant to provide guidance in many of the situations you may encounter and should help you avoid inadvertently violating NCAA policies. Compliance with the rules and regulations is essential to creating a winning environment for all FSC athletic teams.
It is the responsibility of every individual involved with Farmingdale State College Athletics to be aware of the rules which govern participation in collegiate athletics. If questions arise, we ask that you contact our Compliance Coordinator, Tom Azzara, at (631) 420-2599 or by email. Asking questions before acting ensures that the eligibility of our department and our student-athletes is not jeopardized.
The following links will provide detailed information on relevant topics when dealing with rules, education and other NCAA resources.
- NCAA Division III Philosophy Statement (Philosophy statement produced by the NCAA pertaining to Division III athletics)
NCAA Division III Website (Up to the minute information on Division III athletics)
NCAA Getting in the Game (Videos and resources for athletes, parents and administrators)
Hazing Resources (Informative videos and resources on preventing hazing)
Don't Bet On It (Video resource on sports wagering)
Recruiting Rules and Regulations (Rules and Regulations pertaining to recruiting)
NCAA Division III Manual (Manual on Division III athletics)
NCAA Banned Substances (List of banned substances not allowed in one persons system according to NCAA guidelines)
Drug Free Sport (NCAA resource for all information on drugs in athletics)
Self-Release Form (For students to transfer to another Division III institution)
Guide for Staff and Boosters
People often have questions about NCAA rules and what they permit alumni and friends of the College to do. The following is a summary of what is permitted and some examples of frequent problem areas.
The NCAA prohibits the receipt of a benefit by a student-athlete or his/her relatives or friends unless (a) it is authorized by NCAA legislation, or (b) the same benefit generally is available to the institutions, students, their relatives or friends or to a particular segment of the student body determined on a basis unrelated to athletics ability.
The "benefit" could be any special arrangement provided by
a college employee or booster to a student-athlete or a
student-athlete's relative or friends.
Therefore, please be aware of the following:
- A student-athlete may not accept a prohibited benefit from an employee of Farmingdale State College or a representative of Farmingdale State College's athletic interests (e.g., use of a car, clothing, gifts, money, tickets for any kind of entertainment, payment of long distance telephone calls).
- A student-athlete may not accept free or reduced cost storage space for personal belongings for the summer months from any Farmingdale State College employee or a representative of Farmingdale State College's athletic interests.
- A student-athlete may not accept free or reduced priced merchandise or services from any merchant unless that free or reduced cost item is also available to the general student body.
- A student-athlete may receive an occasional meal from an institutional staff member or a representative of the institution's athletic interests, provided that the meal occurs within the locale of the institution and is infrequent.
- A student-athlete may not use a Department of Athletics copy machine, fax machine or make long distance phone calls using departmental equipment or the long distance access code of an employee of Farmingdale State College or representative of Farmingdale State College's athletic interests.
- Members of the Department of Athletics staff or a representative of Farmingdale State College's athletic interests are not permitted to type reports, papers, letters, etc., for a student-athlete.
- A student-athlete may not receive a special discount, payment arrangement or credit on a purchase (e.g., airline ticket, clothing), or service (e.g., laundry, dry cleaning) from an employee of Farmingdale State College or representative of Farmingdale State College's athletic interests.
- A Farmingdale State College employee or a representative of Farmingdale State College's athletic interests may not provide a student-athlete with a loan of money, a guarantee of bond, the use of an automobile or the signing or co-signing of a note to arrange a loan.
- A student-athlete may not accept frequent traveler miles for trips that are financed by the Department of Athletics.
- A Farmingdale State College employee may provide a student-athlete only reasonable and occasional local (i.e., within a 30-mile radius of the Farmingdale State's campus) transportation. However, a Farmingdale State College employee may not utilize a College vehicle for purposes of assisting a student-athlete's move from one residence to another.
The acceptance by a student-athlete of any of the above extra benefits is a violation of NCAA regulations and places the student-athlete's eligibility for intercollegiate competition in immediate jeopardy. It is extremely important for everyone involved with Farmingdale State College athletics to know and abide by all NCAA regulations.
At Farmingdale State College, we are proud of the tradition of excellence that has become the standard for our teams and athletic programs. We are especially committed to promoting excellence through good sportsmanship and positive support for all of our student-athletes, coaches and staff as well as for our opponents and officials.
BE LOUD! BE PROUD!! BE POSITIVE!!!
Farmingdale State College is proud to participate in the fan sportsmanship initiative of "Be Loud, Be Proud, Be Positive!"
This initiative is a unified effort to promote respect for student-athletes, coaches and officials in Division III athletics.
At Farmingdale State College, we know we can count on your support.
• Cheer for your team, not against the
• Don’t get personal in your comments about players, coaches, officials or fans in the stands.
• Do not use profanity, vulgar, racist or sexist comments.
• Give players, coaches and officials their space by keeping away from the playing and team bench area.
Thank you for your support.
NCAA Sportsmanship Statement
"The National Collegiate Athletic Association and Farmingdale State College promote and expect good sportsmanship by student-athletes, coaches, staff and spectators. We request your cooperation by supporting the participants and officials in a positive manner. Cheer for your team, not against the opponents. Profanity, racial or sexist comments or other intimidating actions directed at officials, student-athletes, coaches or team representatives are not acceptable and are grounds for removal from the site of competition. Also, consumption or possession of alcoholic beverages is prohibited."