Why Choose Division III?
NCAA Division III Mission Statement: To govern competition in a fair, safe, equitable and sportsmanlike manner, and to integrate intercollegiate athletics into higher education so that the educational experience of the student-athlete is paramount.
Follow your passions and discover your potential. The college experience is a time of learning and growth - a chance to follow passions and develop potential. For student-athletes in Division III, all of this happens most importantly in the classroom and through earning an academic degree. The Division III experience provides for passionate participation in a competitive athletic environment, where student-athletes push themselves to excellence and build upon their academic success with new challenges and life skills. And student-athletes are encouraged to pursue the full spectrum of opportunities available during their time in college. In this way, Division III provides an integrated environment for student-athletes to take responsibility for their own paths, follow their passions and find their potential through a comprehensive educational experience.
Six Attributes of Division III
- Proportion: Appropriate relation of academics with opportunities to pursue athletics and other passions
- Comprehensive Learning: Opportunity for broad-based education and success
- Passion: Playing for the love of the game, competition, fun and self-improvement
- Responsibility: Development of accountability through personal commitment and choices
- Sportsmanship: Fair and respectful conduct toward all participants and supporters
- Citizenship: Dedication to developing responsible leaders and citizens in our communities
Benefits of Division III:
- Student-athletes continue to compete in a highly competitive athletic program and retain the full spectrum of college life - Focus on academic achievement while graduating with a comprehensive education that builds skills beyond the classroom
- Access financial aid for college without the obligations of an athletic scholarship
- Opportunities to play more than one sport
- Be responsible for your own path, discover potential through opportunities to pursue many interests
- Academics are the primary focus for student-athletes. Shorter practices and playing seasons, no redshirting and regional competition minimize time away from their academic studies and keep student-athletes on a path to graduation.
- Student-athletes are integrated on campus and treated like all other members of the general student-body, keeping them focused on being a student first.
- Participation in athletics provides valuable "life lessons" for student-athletes (teamwork, discipline, perseverance, leadership, etc) which often translates into becoming a better student and more responsible citizen.
- Division III institutions develop student-athlete potential through a comprehensive educational approach - Division III institutions offer athletics for the educational value and benefit to the student-athlete, not for the purpose of revenue generation and entertainment.
- Student-athletes do not receive monetary incentive to play sports but rather participate for the love of the game.
Reasons to Believe in Division III
- Comprehensive educational experience.
- Integrated campus environment.
- Academic focus.
- Available financial aid.
- Competitive athletic programs.
- National championship opportunities.
- Commitment to athletics participation.