Rams Upset Hartwick in First Round

Ryan Davis
Ryan Davis

Farmingdale State - 98, Hartwick - 88

Oneonta, N.Y. - The Farmingdale State men's basketball team outscored Hartwick 17-7 in overtime, as the Rams defeated the Hawks 98-88 on Friday night in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at Lambros Arena.

Junior forward AJ Matthews (Brooklyn, N.Y.) led Farmingdale State with 33 points and 19 rebounds. Junior guard Ryan Davis (Flushing, N.Y.) scored a season-high 16 points and tied his school record with 11 assists. Davis needs three assists to break the school record for assists in a season (152), held by Carlito Beach since 2001-02. Senior guard Dyshaun Flournoy (Brentwood, N.Y.) added 17 points. Senior guard Joshua Smith (Deer Park, N.Y.) chipped in 12 points and freshman forward Ibrahim Johnson (New York, N.Y.) added 11 points.

For Hartwick, Jared Suderley (Newport, N.Y.) scored a career-high 40 points and eclipsed the 1,000 point mark in his career. He also added a team-high 17 rebounds. Chris Ryder (Port Washington, N.Y.) contributed 16 points, five rebounds, and four assists. Anthony Kean (Staten Island, N.Y.) chipped in 12 points, 10 rebounds, and three assists. Mike Geisser (East Hanover, N.J) added 10 points, five rebounds, and two steals.

The Hawks found themselves in a hole early in the game as Farmingdale raced out to a 10-2 lead.  Hartwick settled down and would go on a 16-7 run and take the lead, 18-15, with 13:10 to play in the first. The teams would exchange baskets until a quick 9-0 spurt by the Hawks put them ahead 27-21 with 8:34 to go in the first. Hartwick lead would increase to eight and then to 10 following a layup by Suderley with 31 seconds left. The Hawks would lead 41-31 at halftime.

In the second half, Hartwick would push its lead to 13 points at 16:49 but an 11-2 Ram run got them to within four points of tying the game up. Farmingdale would eventually take the lead at 8:05 following a layup by Matthews. The rest of the game was a seesaw battle as both teams would exchange baskets back and forth. Farmingdale would have a two-point lead, 81-79, with 42 seconds left on the clock. Two Keane free throws would knot the score at 81-all with 26 seconds remaining. After Matthews missed a layup with 11 seconds left in the game, Keane secured the rebound and Hartwick would call a timeout.  The Hawks had one more shot but Mark Blazek's (Erie, Pa.) potential game-winning three-point shot was off the mark and the game went into overtime.

In the overtime period, layups by Geisser and Suderley gave Hartwick a four-point lead with 3:18 left to play. After a Rams score from junior guard Christian Nunez (White Plains, N.Y.), Suderley drained a three-pointer to increase the Hawk lead to five points with 2:24 remaining. The lead, however, would disappear as the Hawks turned the ball over three times and Farmingdale would take advantage as they would go on a 15-0 run to close out the game and come away with the victory.

The Rams shot 49.3% from the field to Hartwick's 47.9%. Farmingdale had the better three-point percentage as they shot 44% to the Hawks' 31.8%. Hartwick held a slight advantage in rebounds, 44-43.

The Rams will face #3 MIT (26-1) in the Second Round game, hosted by Hartwick, on Saturday, March 3 at 7:00 p.m.

Live video and live stats are available for the game at:

Live video: http://ezstream-media-7-7183.wm.llnwd.net/ezstream_media_7_7183

Live stats: http://livestats.hartwick.edu/BasketBall/MBB1112/xlive.htm