Lawes Named Skyline Defensive Player of the Year
- Lawes Named to First Team and Def. Player of Year -
New York, N.Y. - The Skyline Conference announced today that senior guard Andre Nixon of Purchase has been named the 2013-14 Skyline Men's Basketball Player of the Year in voting conducted among the Conference's ten head coaches. The Skyline coaches also selected Farmingdale State's Donald Lawes as Defensive Player of the Year, Yisrael Feld of Yeshiva as Rookie of the Year and Ryan Kadlubowski of Mount Saint Mary as Coach of the Year.
Nixon leads Purchase in scoring (18.2 ppg.) and three-point field goals (70) while adding 39 steals and 5.5 rebounds per contest. The Harlem, N.Y., resident scored 21 points and topped the 1,000-point milestone on Feb. 27 in the Panthers' 88-73 victory over Old Westbury in the semifinals of the Skyline Championship. A four-time Player of the Week selection, Nixon registered a pair of 30-point performances this season as PC captured the Skyline regular season title with a 17-1 mark.
Lawes averaged 4.4 blocked shots per game - tops in the nation - and led Farmingdale State in rebounding (8.7 rpg.). A native of Queens, N.Y., the senior center amassed at least six blocks in eight different games this season and also averaged a team-high 12.7 points per game and .579 field-goal percentage. He broke the school record for blocks on Feb. 15th with his 100th block and finished the year with 119.
Feld led Yeshiva in both scoring (16.0 ppg.) and steals (23), while his 34 field goals from beyond the arc ranked second on the team. A five-time Rookie of the Week selection, the freshman guard from Teaneck, N.J., scored at least 20 points eight times and poured in 28 points on three different occasions in Skyline play.
Nixon and Lawes are joined on the first-team All-Conference by Darryl Charles of St. Joseph's-L.I.; Mount Saint Mary teammates Donte Howell and Chris Pisciotta; and Joel Neri of Purchase.
Joining Feld on the All-Conference second team is Brendan Gallagher of NYU-Poly; Old Westbury's Floyd Leroy; Jeff Stopera of Sage; and Mount Saint Vincent's Brandon Serrano.
Kadlubowski has guided Mount Saint Mary to within one game of its first-ever Skyline crown as the Knights (21-5) will face Purchase on Mar. 1 in the finals of the 2014 Skyline Championship. Now in his fifth season, MSMC compiled a program-best 16-2 mark in conference play in 2013-14. Also named the Skyline Coach of the Year in 2010-11, he boasts an overall record of 92-45 during his tenure at Mount Saint Mary. Kadlubowski graduated from the University of Rochester in 2003 with a bachelor's degree in economics. He also holds a master's degree in sports leadership, earned in 2007 from Virginia Commonwealth University.
2013-14 SKYLINE MEN'S BASKETBALL ALL-CONFERENCE TEAM
First-Team (School, Cl., Pos., Hometown, PPG/RPG/Asts)
- Andre Nixon* - Purchase, Sr., G, Harlem, N.Y., 18.2/5.5/56
- Darryl Charles - St. Joseph's-L.I., Jr., F, Middletown, N.Y., 19.2/10.5/8
- Donte Howell - Mount Saint Mary, Sr., G, Baldwin, N.Y., 13.8/2.9/121
- Donald Lawes - Farmingdale State, Sr., C, Queens, N.Y., 12.7/8.7/15
- Joel Neri - Purchase, Jr., C, Port Chester, N.Y., 16.1/7.6/22
- Chris Pisciotta - Mount Saint Mary, Sr., F, New Hyde Park, N.Y., 13.4/6.7/67
- Yisrael Feld - Yeshiva, Fr., G, Teaneck, N.J., 16.0/3.0/73
- Brendan Gallagher - NYU-Poly, So., G, Smithtown, N.Y., 16.0/7.4/42
- Floyd Leroy - Old Westbury, Jr., F, Spring Valley, N.Y., 14.5/7.3/54
- Brandon Serrano - Mount Saint Vincent, Sr., F, Hempstead, N.Y., 17.7/7.7/19
- Jeff Stopera - Sage, Gr., G, Scotia, N.Y., 10.9/2.6/166
*Player of the Year: Andre Nixon, Purchase
Defensive Player of the Year: Donald Lawes, Farmingdale State
Rookie of the Year: Yisrael Feld, Yeshiva
Coach of the Year: Ryan Kadlubowski, Mount Saint Mary