Rams Win First-Ever NCAA Match
- Will Face Host Williams College on Saturday Afternoon -
Williamstown, Mass. - The Farmingdale State College men's tennis team built up a 4-1 lead on Friday afternoon and held off a determined Marywood University squad, 5-3, to advance out of the first round of the 2011 NCAA Division III Tournament. This was the first-ever victory for the Rams, who are making their first-ever appearance in the NCAA tourney in just their fourth year as a Varsity squad.
Farmingdale State will now play host Williams in a second round Match on Saturday at 2:00 p.m.
The Rams went into singles play up 2-1, thanks to No. 1 doubles pair of freshman Christian Bormann (Huntington, N.Y.) and senior Joseph Passarella (Flushing, N.Y.). Bormann and Passarella led their match against Marywood's Greg Chilson and Todd Doran 7-3 before Chilson and Doran stormed back to tie it at 7-all. However, the Rams' duo was able to win the next two games to pull out the 9-7 victory.
Farmingdale went up 4-1 very quickly in singles as senior Chris Genzmann (Massapequa, N.Y.) rolled to a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Frank Nicolosi at six singles and sophomore Alex Bessarabov (Lindenhurst, N.Y.) dispatched Dan Pfafman at three singles, 6-0, 6-2.
It looked like Marywood might force a winner-take all match after Passarella (6-2, 6-3) and Bormann (6-3, 6-3) came up with straight set victories at second and first singles, respectively.
Farmingdale State senior Theo Gioles (Wantagh, N.Y.) wrapped up the match, when he defeated opponent Ethan Jones, 6-3, 6-2, and sent the Rams into the second round.
[ ] = Order of Finish
1. Christian Bormann/Joseph Passarella (FSC) vs. Greg Chilson/Todd Doran (M) 9-7 FSC 
2. Alex Besserabov/Theo Gioles (FSC) vs. Dan Pfafman/Wyatt Nolan (M) 8-5 FSC 
3. Joseph Falcetta/Chris Genzmann (FSC) vs. Ethan Jones/Frank Nicolosi (M) 8-3 M 
1. Christian Bormann (FSC) vs. Greg Chilson (M) 6-3, 6-3 M 
2. Joseph Passarella (FSC) vs. Todd Doran (M) 6-2, 6-3 M 
3. Alex Besserabov (FSC) vs. Dan Pfafman (M) 6-0, 6-2 FSC 
4. Theo Gioles (FSC) vs. Ethan Jones (M) 6-3, 6-2 FSC 
5. Joseph Falcetta (FSC) vs. Wyatt Nolan (M) 6-1, 5-7, 1-1 (DNF)
6. Chris Genzmann (FSC) vs. Frank Nicolosi (M) 6-1, 6-1 FSC